Laila Davis, 5, was shocked last year by metal scaffolding outside of a public housing project in Brooklyn. Her family is now suing NYCHA and the Metropolitan Bridge & Scaffold Corp. for $10 million.
TODD MAISEL, NEW YORK DAILY NEWS/NEW YORK DAILY NEWSLaila Davis, 5, was electrocuted as she left her grandmother's home in Red Hook Brooklyn in 2012 and is still suffering after effects and fear today.
The family of a 5-year-old girl who was shocked last year when she touched metal scaffolding outside a Brooklyn public housing project is suing for $10 million.
The suit names NYCHA and the Metropolitan Bridge & Scaffold Corp., the contractor that put up the scaffolding.
TODD MAISEL, NEW YORK DAILY NEWS/NEW YORK DAILY NEWSThe scaffolding remains in place. The contractor remains on the job. And the company has had his permit renewed twice by the city.
The scaffolding remains in place. The contractor remains on the job. And the company has had his permit renewed twice by the city. NYCHA - which has said in the past it fixed the problem — declined to comment Monday.
Laila, meanwhile, is not the same bubbly child she was before the incident on Aug. 13, 2012. She is now fearful, quiet, and when she passes the same spot where she was hurt - which she does five days a week - she avoids touching anything metal.
TODD MAISEL, NEW YORK DAILY NEWS/NEW YORK DAILY NEWS“She makes sure to grip my hand very tight,” said her father, Jamell Davis.
“She makes sure to grip my hand very tight,” said her father, Jamell Davis.
Laila was jolted last summer, which the Daily News was first to report, when her left hand touched scaffolding as she left the Red Hook Houses building. She fell back against the metal and was shocked again.
TODD MAISEL, NEW YORK DAILY NEWS/NEW YORK DAILY NEWSSeen here the wire that electrified the metal scaffolding.
Every Thursday Laila sees a therapist, recounting how her heart sometimes “hurts” and how she doesn’t like to be left alone. She avoids touching anything metal, even the bars in the playground outside her great grandmother’s apartment.
Shortly after Laila was hurt, the city Buildings Department issued a stop-work order and hit NYCHA with a building code violation for allowing the unsafe condition. Bonita Zelman, the lawyer for Laila’s family, said NYCHA discovered breaks in the conduit bringing electricity to the lights in the scaffolding shed. And they found the shed itself was not grounded.
On Monday Laila stood a few feet from the spot where she was hurt. When a News photographer pointed to the scaffolding pipe, she had an instant reaction: She frowned and stuck out her tongue.